This project is anticipated to include renovations at the Henry E. Legler Branch Library as part of Chicago Public Library’s “Branching Out: Building Libraries, Building Communities” campaign.
In partnership with Secretary of State and State Librarian Jesse White, the Legler Branch Library will be transformed into a regional library for Chicago’s west side. The 36,000-square-foot library will undergo significant renovations to improve the building, update its technology infrastructure and upgrade programs and services. Interior and exterior improvements will include a reconfiguration of the existing floor plan; the addition of new program, community and study spaces; an increase in collections and technology; accessibility and life safety improvements; and parking lot and security enhancements.
“I am proud to support this important project for the Legler branch. These funds will allow for important technological upgrades and program enhancements that will strengthen lifelong learning for the residents of the west side of Chicago.”
– Jesse White, Illinois Secretary of State and State Librarian
Once the renovation of the Legler regional library is complete, Kerry James Marshall’s monumental painting “Knowledge and Wonder” will be reinstalled. Legler will also serve as the first CPL location to introduce an “Artist in Residence,” creating a studio space where a community artist will develop art projects and host adult, teen and family arts programs. Following the renovation, Legler will add Sunday hours and expanded weekday hours, consistent with other regional libraries.
This is the PBC’s second project at Legler; in 2015, we expanded the library’s YOUmedia Digital Learning Lab.
General Contractor: F.H. Paschen, S.N. Nielsen & Associates
GC Contract: C1597
- Pay Application #1 (4/24/20)
- Pay Application #2 (5/8/20)
- Pay Application #3 (6/12/20)
- Pay Application #4 (7/14/20)
- Pay Application #5 (8/28/20)
- Pay Application #6 (10/16/20)
- Pay Application #7 (12/2/20)
- Pay Application #8 (1/8/21)
- Pay Application #9 (2/11/21)
- Pay Application #10 (3/19/21)
- Pay Application #11 (4/12/21)
- Pay Application #12 (4/30/21)
- Pay Application #13 (6/23/21)
- Pay Application #14 (7/21/21)
- Pay Application #15 (8/5/21)
- City of Chicago Press Release: Mayor Emanuel and Chicago Public Library Announce “Branching Out: Building Libraries, Building Communities” (7/31/18)
- “Chicago’s West Side gets first regional library in 40 years” Curbed Chicago (2/7/19)