Saving a Landmark
Chicago’s historic Stock Yards National Bank Building is ready for redevelopment and a new life after our stabilization efforts.
Preserving the Past, Looking to the Future
Chicago is renowned for its architecture and landmark buildings, many of which extend beyond downtown to neighborhoods rich with history and tradition. For more than a century, Chicago was the meat processing capital of the world. Chicago’s Union Stock Yards were known around the world. Today, more than four decades after the last meat processing plant closed, the former stock yards area is home to a thriving industrial park that offers opportunities for future growth and development. At the request of the City of Chicago’s Department of Planning and Development, the PBC oversaw the stabilization of the landmarked Stock Yards National Bank building. Completed in 1925, the building housed two banks that served the businesses and employees of the stock yards and nearby manufacturing district. Designed with Palladian windows and a central clock tower, the building is modeled after Independence Hall in Philadelphia. It was designed by Abraham Epstein, a Chicago architect and engineer best known for his designs for the reconstruction of the Union Stock Yards after a fire in 1934.
After sitting vacant for more than two decades, the building was in disrepair and needed stabilization so the City could market the property to prospective buyers for redevelopment. The PBC oversaw the necessary repairs and improvements in order to reduce weather related damage to the building. The work included stabilizing existing sections of deteriorated masonry and terra cotta, repairs to previous efforts to manage rainwater, and work to reduce water infiltration into the building. Today, the building is secure and protected from the elements as the City pursues redevelopment opportunities for this historic property.
View more photos of this project on Flickr.